Small Family

Small Family

Monday, February 6, 2017

The First Seven Months


We have been living in Thailand now for seven months and we recently had the 100th day of homeschool for E and B. For better or worse, I am not one to typically log my experiences and feelings, hence Katie usually handles these blog posts. Yet, this seems like a natural time to do some reflection over the past half-year in the entirely new role as teacher-dad and primary caregiver to our three kids.

Making Venn diagrams to compare houses in the US and Thailand

Among all the transitions of packing up our possessions, selling our house, and moving over 8,000 miles from West Central Indiana to Northern Thailand, the transition from "working Dad" to "stay-at-home Dad" has been the biggest transition for me personally. Before we came, I struggled a bit with my own perception that I wouldn't officially be "doing anything". We as a family are passionately committed to the work done by the IJM staff in seeking justice for the oppressed. God has uniquely gifted Katie to improve communications and break down language barriers for the Thai-speaking staff. My own self-centered and works-based struggle was focused on the question of what I would do. What great stories would I be able to share back home? How would I make a difference? – Did you notice how all of those questions aren't primarily focused on God, or the oppressed, or justice at all? -- I sure didn’t. At least, not at first. Thankfully, God has been gracious and patient with my short-sighted self-absorption. He has been faithful in showing me my desperate need for humility; to serve in the background and trust Him to bring fruit from the labor for His people and for His glory. And in what will be no surprise to many of the stay-at-home parents/at-home educators reading this, though I have no “official” role in serving with IJM in Thailand, I am certainly busier now than I was in my role as breadwinner and night-and-weekends dad back in the States. Busier, but enjoying the blessing of time with our children and (my hope in prayer) learning to serve more humbly and parent more patiently.


The kids and I have been genuinely enjoying the international homeschool experience. While homeschooling was never something Katie and I considered for the kids back home in Indiana, it absolutely makes the most sense for us during this season of our lives in Thailand. I can’t go any further in this post without pausing to thank Denise Schwartz who organized the foundation of E’s curriculum, took time to share with me her years of homeschooling wisdom before we left, and has offered much encouragement to me along the way. Thank you for your support and your example.

On a typical day, the kids and I take the cool mornings to play outside, hit the market, join the IJM prayer meetings, or explore the city. Some of our favorite morning “field trips” are visiting one of the handful of small local zoos and running around the canal at the local exercise park. After lunch I put X down for a nap and E & B get started on the day’s work. We start the day reading through a chapter of the Bible and working through memory verses. It has been such a blessing for me personally to have an intentional, everyday time set aside to read with the kids and watch them get excited about hiding scripture in their hearts. It has also been incredibly fun for me to watch E & B learn and grow. E is quickly developing math skills and absolutely devours each and every book, fact, or bit of information I can come up with to give her. B has been such a pleasant surprise as a 4-year-old, diligently sitting beside his sister at the kitchen table every day, without complaint, to practice writing his letters and numbers and taking steps toward reading.


B working on his letters

We have also enjoyed being a part of a weekly English-speaking homeschool co-op at a local church here in Chiang Mai. Every Monday morning about 70 kids, ages nursery up to high school, get together for three hours of parent-taught courses. Our kids have made several new friends in their co-op classes. I have enjoyed the opportunity to teach older kids while helping to teach an upper elementary/middle school computer programming class and a beginner guitar class, and being the lead instructor to a high school introduction to engineering course.


Bamboo balance beam at co-op
 In sum, our first 7 months in Thailand have been incredibly rewarding for me personally. I get to encourage an amazing wife who works hard each day to support the work of freedom and justice for the marginalized of Southeast Asia. I am spending an abundance of time with our three kids, watching them grow and learn about a world much bigger than themselves. And perhaps most of all, I have felt the graciousness of God in his provision of the support He knew I would need, and in teaching me that an office and a job title aren’t necessary to be used, refined, and blessed by Him.

Scott


5 comments:

  1. What a delight to hear how well things are going on your end especially, Scott. Such kind words- it is such a pleasure to have been able to participate in a small way. Thank you for sharing! Loved the photo of E making Venn's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It warms my heart to hear how much God is working in your lives. You have taken big leaps of faith and followed His path for you. That took courage, guts and faith that God will lead and keep you in your endeavors. I'm so proud of you and will continue to keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic opportunity for you and your family. One that will stay with you all and shape and influence the rest of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing you are receiving being able to be an active participant in the lives of your children and their education. So proud of you for following God's lead in your life. Prayers sent for you and your family.
    Your proud first grade teacher.
    Jane Light

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome!! We love the Smalls!! To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete